Welcome! Here you’ll find all of the blog posts we make on our site. Have fun exploring the in-depth and fun articles on our site!
Choose Best Roofing System For Your House
Choosing a roofing system for your house is more complex than you may imagine. You can’t pick your roof at random, because there are various parameters to be taken into consideration and conditions that have to be met, in order for a system to be suitable for your house. In addition, the climate you live in may influence your choice. For instance, if you have harsh winters with heavy snowfalls, you may not be able to have a flat roof, as the weight of the snow could damage it. If it rains a lot, having a pointed roof helps the water drain more efficiently, thus preventing those dreaded leaks nobody wants to experience.
Anyway, you don’t have to be afraid of making the wrong choice, as you are going to cooperate with TF Thompson (or another roofer) and with your builder. They are the ones who have to do all the calculations, and come up with the most appropriate suggestions for your specific building. You may be able to choose your colors and some of the accessories, but when it comes to the structure that needs to give the resistance of your roof, you won’t be able to say anything. Your builder may allow you to choose the materials, but this can also be a tricky thing. If you are in an area where houses need to have a certain look, you may not be allowed to choose the materials you want. If the authorities give you permission to use wood, you won’t be able to use ceramic tiles.
Once these details are all set, you still have one major challenge, which is to choose a contractor to build you the roof. The first thing to do is to ask your builder if he can recommend you someone. These experts know each other and they help each other on various occasions, so you may have your roofer without needing to do any further research. However, if you are on your own, or you need to repair or change your existing roof, you’ll have to invest some time into researching the local contractors. This is usually easy to do, as they all have websites where they detail their services, their qualifications and and their portfolio of clients. It’s not so hard to check out all these sites, and choose a few contractors to get in touch with. In addition, you can check out local business directories such as the one of the Better Business Bureau. This association is one of the most trustworthy you can find. They have very strict rules for their members, so all businesses listed in this directory offer high quality services and products, as well as a great customer relationship.
Whatever you do, always remember that this is perhaps the most important part of your house. It is what keeps the elements away from your home, so make sure you choose the highest quality solution your money can buy. If needed, borrow some money or wait until you save enough to afford a good roof.
4 Celebrity Homes We Want
4 Celebrity Homes We Want
Getting a sneak peek inside celebrity homes is so much fun! We did some research and discovered four amazing celebrity homes that are really going to wow you. Not only did we find where these famous people live, but we got inside specific rooms in order to highlight the best features and styles these mansions have to offer.
Want to know more about where Matthew McConaughey, Beyonce, Mark Wahlberg and Jennifer Aniston spend their time? See below to get the inside scoop.
The visuals of the design and décor are breathtaking and will give you inspiration for decorating your own home. My guess is that you may need to update your house on a smaller budget, but don’t let that steer you away from checking out these gorgeous homes. Scroll down to be inspired by these four must-see celebrity pads!
Matthew McConaughey’s Master Bedroom
The first home we’re going inside belongs to the one and only Matthew McConaughey. He owns an extraordinary nine-acre lake mansion estate in Austin, TX. The 10,000sf Spanish Med-style mansion was built in 1997 in the style of midcentury architect Addizon Mizner. His home has seven bedrooms, eight bathrooms, a carved wood staircase, a two-island kitchen, tiled floors throughout, an elevator, terraces (yes, plural), a courtyard with a water fountain, a stone guesthouse with its own covered porch and seven boat slips on the lake. I believe this is a home I could get comfortable in. Anyone else?
Matthew McConaughey’s rural master bedroom is a spectacular space with hardwood floors. The room has a neutral color scheme with a gorgeous painted ceiling and recessed lights. There are French doors leading to a private balcony with what we can only imagine has an amazing view. The red rug and doors give this master bed the right punch of color and light to brighten the room. The property was originally listed for close to $7M, but was later reduced to $4M.
Want this look without breaking the bank? We shopped around for you and were able to find similar bedroom styles at a more reasonable price. Click here to get ideas for upgrading your master bedroom.
Beyonce & JayZ’s Palaces
The dazzling quarters Beyonce resides in is 16,000 square feet, has seven bedrooms and 8.5 bathrooms. This is a newly built and thoroughly modern mansion located in the high-toned Holmby Hills of Los Angeles, CA. The house opens to a wrap-around terrace with an outdoor kitchen and an infinity edged swimming pool. Did I mention the fancy 2,000sf master suit with a full bathroom and L-shaped series of glass-walled pavilions covering three floors? There is also a long staircase that leads down from the rear terrace to a lighted, synthetic grass tennis court. Anyone up for a friendly match with Jay and Bey?
Let’s be honest, LA isn’t Beyonce’s only home base and we’re not surprised. She and her hubby also spent a pretty penny to stay in the Hamptons for the summer in this gorgeous estate. I wanted to highlight the breathtaking formal dining room that has all the bells and whistles! Her Hamptons escape has a beautiful dining area with a warm and cozy fireplace. The chandelier is absolutely brilliant and looks magnificent against the navy blue painted wall. The cream door, drapes and ceiling and crown molding are the perfect touches to brighten up the room. I would not be opposed to having dinner at this table.
The Digs of Mark Wahlberg
Mark Wahlberg’s Los Angeles mansion is simply giant. This 30,000sf French manor includes a full-sized basketball court, putting green, guesthouse, a swimming pool with a water slide and a three-car garage. The swimming pool includes a spa, slide, diving board, jumping rock and a beach style walk-in. What a perfect pool to cool off in this summer!
Inside the two-time Oscar nominee mansion are a home theater, wine cellar, large gym and a two-story wood-paneled library. Mark’s incredible estate also includes a media room, sport court and a two-story gym (not surprised with this one). As you can see, his home is nothing short of spectacular, and yes, we want to be invited over.
Jennifer Aniston’s Zen Bathroom & Patio
Welcome to every woman’s dream home. When you walk in, you see a Murano glass chandelier which is one of the first things Jen bought for the house. Look how amazing it looks in her entrance! Her design wishes included words like ‘Zen’ and ‘Bali’ when her home was being decorated.
Her bathroom is everything above, peaceful and calming. Aniston converted one of the his-and-her baths in the master suite into a spa bath with a soaking tub. How relaxing! Don’t you just love the natural wood and neutral décor?
When Jen’s not pampering herself in her bathroom, she’s enjoying a quiet evening out on her terrace. This patio includes heated travertine floors which keeps the area nice and warm. If the weather isn’t cooperating, the room can be enclosed with the bronze chain-mail curtain. There is a mounted flat screen television above the roaring fireplace. The fabric on the love seat and chairs in the foreground is from Holly Hunt, as are the pillow fabrics. Chella fabric covers the Shadley-designed chairs near the fireplace.
Stunning is one word I would use to describe the homes we just toured. Obviously these homes have lots of money invested in them. This shouldn’t stop you from taking some of the design and décor aspects you liked and incorporating them into your home. I hope these rooms have inspired you to turn it up a notch in your home!
Of course, you shouldn’t have to do it all on your own. Click here if you’ve got a home project in mind and would like quotes from a few professionals in your area.
Original Content Source: http://www.improvenet.com/a/4-celebrity-homes-we-want
10 Tips to Help Homeowners Choose the Right Roofing Contractor
The biggest obstacle homeowners face when looking to fix or replace their roof is choosing the right person to do the job. After a damaging storm, they need to quickly get back to normal and get the necessary roofing repairs completed. But that doesn’t mean they should just choose the first contractor who knocks on their door. Finding a contractor who is trustworthy, honest, and professional may sound difficult – but that’s where you come in. Contractors should share these 10 important tips with homeowners to show them that your company is reputable and can be trusted to protect their home and their wallet.
- Get local referrals. There is less chance of potential issues or scams when you choose a contractor from your community. They are more familiar with local rules and code regulations and have a relationship with area crews and suppliers.
- Look for manufacturer designations. Manufacturer designations are considered a badge of honor because the contractor must pass certain minimum requirements to be factory-certified (although, some manufacturers have more stringent requirements than others). GAF strictly enforces their top designation; less than 2% of roofing contractors have qualified as Master Elite® Unlike other manufacturer designations, Master Elite® Contractors cannot use this top designation in another territory, only in a specific territory. Find a Master Elite® Contractor near you.
- Research Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings. Some contractors blow in (no pun intended) right after a storm looking for work, so it’s important to look them up on the BBB website and make sure they have a good score. Stay away from contractors who do not exist on BBB.org. GAF Master Elite® Contractors are required to maintain satisfactory ratings with the BBB in order to retain their certification.
- Get an extensive warranty. Not all contractors can offer manufacturer warranties that include coverage of the contractor’s workmanship. If a contractor installs the roof incorrectly, it may take months or years for the damage to show up and insurance won’t pay for it. If the contractor won’t fix it (or worse, has gone out of business), your only recourse is to pay for their mistake yourself. A Master Elite® Contractor can offer one of the longest workmanship warranties on the market: the Golden Pledge® Warranty. The Golden Pledge® Ltd. Warranty also includes an inspection by a GAF factory-trained inspector who will check the contractor’s work after the roof has been completed.
- Be concerned about safety. A contractor without a training or safety program may not be the best person for your job. GAF sponsors a unique national training organization called the Center for the Advancement of Roofing Excellence (CARE), which has trained 125,000 professionals. GAF is the only roofing manufacturer with a dedicated team of trainers in the industry.
- Check for proper licensing and insurance. The contractor should have insurance for all employees and subcontractors and be able to provide a copy of their insurance certificate for validation. Not having adequate insurance could potentially lead to litigation between a contractor and homeowner if a roofing employee sustains an injury at the home. Most states require licensing for contractors, but that does not stop unlicensed contractors from attempting to do the roofing work. In states where licenses are required, make sure your contractor provides you with a copy of their license and confirm their status online. GAF Master Elite® Contractors must hold appropriate levels of Workers Compensation (where required by law) and General Liability coverage, and have proper state licensing where they are performing the work.
- Pay your deductible. Any contractor who claims that they can handle the repair without having the homeowner pay their insurance deductible is committing insurance fraud and endangering the homeowner. The insurance deductible is the responsibility of the insured, and the contractor should reflect that in the quote without inflating the estimate to cover all or part of the deductible.
- Handle your own claim. A contractor who says they are “a claim specialist” or can “handle your insurance claim” may be breaking the law. In most states, it is illegal for contractors to act on behalf of the homeowner when negotiating an insurance claim. Any contractor who opens the door to potential legal action is not acting in your best interest.
- Don’t give in to pressure. Watch out for a contractor who pressures you to sign a contract before the insurance company has estimated the damage. Some contractors say they can work with whatever your insurance company settles upon, but the homeowner needs to ensure it’s not just any amount, but the right amount. The contractor should thoroughly examine the home and check that their insurance adjuster didn’t miss any damages.
- Know your material choices. A contractor who does not offer you different shingle options is not looking out for your best interest. The style and color of the shingles you install can affect the resale value of your home. GAF contractors can offer extensive design and color choices for your home, or if future storm protection is important, you’ll know to ask about GAF’s Impact-Resistant Shingles. Check out the choices now so you’re ready. Knowledge is power.
Content originally by Liza Barth on GAF ProBlog
Heard some watery-sounds inside your room? Or perhaps some light tap of water coming out from your window? Trying to uncover the problem with your window, you need to take the initiative to see how well does your window is. Despite how strong it was built from the beginning, it’s durability will degrade eventually. Leaks from windows can be a vital problem for you and to your home. Taking necessary precautions on how to handle leaks coming from windows should be observed and repaired as soon as possible.
If you don’t know, water may enter your home, more accurately in a room that has windows on it. We are all aware that water can cause severe damage to property when not treated immediately. Making things worse, mold can actually grow out of nowhere beginning from the atmosphere where moist and water is present. Mold can be risky when left unattended. Health risks may be one of the common risks and has the highest chance to have when you breathe or live together with molds around the corner or inside your home. Molds can be mischievous and tricky to find because they might be hiding from crack windows or frame from the window. Cleaning out the molds means that you need to actually clean your home thoroughly and repair window leaks as soon as possible.
When you are a first-time gardener or making your first ever garden, you need to study some of the techniques on how to raised beds in your garden as it may help you in the future progress of your gardening challenges and problems. In plant parenthood, controlling these experiments are so easy that they’re also well-versed to novices picking up a shovel for the first time.
Raising a bed out of from a customized soil-and-compost blend will help in fertilizing and making the bad dirt out of the picture. Drainage should be built into the bed walls holding the soil in place to keep erosion as smooth as possible. There is a relationship between greater exposure to the sun making the bed warm and ready to allow more plant diversity and extends the growing season of the planted seeds. Plants can be arranged accordingly or can be spaced closely together so that when it grows up and yields, water-use efficiency is maximized and weeds are left and crowded out by the plants. Finally, raising the soil level by 12 inches or a foot reduces the physical labor especially back bending effort needed for jobs such as planting, weeding, and harvesting.
The ease of control is beyond extraordinary because as you grow your favorite foods in your backyard, you feed and soak your plants with the sufficient need for optimum and healthy growth.
As experienced gardeners say that raised beds are the most productive and attractive as a bottomless frame set into a shallow depth of a trench. Making the sides almost hard to destroy making any durable building material into use like rock, bricks, concrete. Water troughs or claw-foot tubs can work, as long as they can sufficiently give the best capacity and drainage to maintain the balance and fasten the growth of your garden.
Comedy in Roof Repair
Funny moment from the television program Home Improvement. Watch the clip above to see a funny moment featuring Tim Allen and his struggles with a roof. Just goes to show that you should be careful when it comes to working at high places.